The January 15th edition of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Legacy Arena in Birmingham, AL.
– This week’s broadcast opens up with Becky Lynch pulling up to the arena in her rental vehicle. She steps out and tells an interviewer that she’s going to go out to the ring and prove she’s ready for Asuka. On her way to the gorilla position, she walks past The New Day and Heavy Machinery making something in a blender. She takes a sip of the substance in the blender, then continues making her way to the gorilla position.
– Becky Lynch comes out to the ring to kick off SmackDown, and she gets on the mic. Becky talks about her plans to reclaim the Women’s Championship, and proving that she isn’t a fluke. Becky talks about Asuka until Asuka comes out to interrupt. Asuka gets in the ring and confronts Becky, but The Iiconics quickly come out to interrupt, and we’ve got a match.
– Becky Lynch vs. Peyton Royce: Billie Kay and Asuka are both at ringside. Becky goes to shake Peyton’s hand, but instead she punches her in the face. They briefly spill out to ringside, and then back in the ring Becky starts working over Peyton’s shoulder. Lacey Evans is shown backstage watching on a monitor. Royce goes out to ringside for a breather, and back in the ring Peyton turns things around with a flurry of offense. Peyton puts the boots to Becky in the corner, but Becky comes back with a series of elbows to the face. Becky hits a flying forearm shot off the middle rope for a two count. Peyton starts fighting back, and they spill outside in front of Asuka. Back in the ring, Becky applies the Dis-arm-her for the win.
Winner: Becky Lynch
– Asuka vs. Billie Kay: After the previous match, Asuka and Billie get into it at ringside, then Asuka throws her in the ring and we’ve got a match. Asuka almost immediately applies the Asuka lock for the win via submission.
– Asuka and Becky Lynch come face to face in the ring after the match, but then AJ Styles’ music hits and they both leave. AJ circles the ring and the announcers say that AJ wasn’t scheduled to be out to the ring. AJ hops the fan barricade and walks through the crowd. AJ walks up deep into the crowd and raises his arms as we go to commercial.
– Back from the break, AJ is outside in the building hallways near the concession stand. He starts throwing merchandise everywhere and calls out Daniel Bryan. Bryan attacks AJ from behind, but AJ gets the upper hand and slams Bryan through a table full of hot dogs. AJ pummels on Bryan, who is covered in mustard now. WWE officials finally pull off AJ.
– We see The Usos backstage doing a photo shoot. Someone interrupts them and hands them a gift. It comes with a note, and it’s from Mandy Rose. The Usos look troubled as we go to break.
– We see some still shots from R-Truth and Carmella visiting WWE Headquarters in Connecticut.
– Andrade Almas does an interview in the back where he says he’s the future, and Zelina Vega says it’s time to start focusing on the future. She says Andrade is going to beat Rey Mysterio tonight, and go on to win the Royal Rumble.
– Samoa Joe vs. Mustafa Ali: Before the bell, Joe attacks Ali and beats him down at ringside. Joe continues to beat down Ali at ringside, and he whips him hard into the ring post. Senior Official Charles Robinson comes out to help break it up. A medic starts checking on Ali, but Joe comes running back and continues the assault on Ali. Joe whips Ali into the ring post and then walks off, and it looks like Joe is done now.
Winner: No contest
– Sonya Deville and Mandy Rose are backstage talking about her letter to The Usos. Mandy talks about how she can’t stand Naomi, so she’s going to try to break up their marriage. Sonya tries to talk her out of it, but Mandy walks off.
– Still to come: The Miz hosts a Birthday bash for Shane McMahon.
– Rey Mysterio is backstage getting ready for his match. He walks past Nikki Cross, who is yelling from behind a stage.
– Samoa Joe does an interview in the back where he says he’s going to go after anyone who calls themselves a champion, and he’ll put them to sleep.
– Rey Mysterio vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas: Zelina Vega is at ringside for this one. Rey starts off strong with an arm drag on Andrade. Rey and Andrade trade holds on the mat now, until Rey connects with a springboard hurricanrana. Rey takes Almas down again, then he drops him across the ropes for the 619. Almas ducks the 619, then trades pin attempts with Rey on the mat. Almas hits a kick, but then he misses a dropkick and Rey boots him in the face. Rey takes Almas outside, but Almas keeps a hold of Rey and powerbombs him on the floor. Back in the ring, Rey comes back with a seaten senton and a hurricanrana. Rey follows up with a DDT on Almas for a two count. Rey misses a shot in the corner and Almas hits the running knee in the corner for a two count. Almas misses a shot in the corner, and both men are hurting now. Rey goes up top and hits a hurricanrana on Almas off the apron down to the ringside floor. Back in the ring, Rey hits a sit-out powerbomb for a two count. Almas comes back with a sit-out powerbomb of his own, and then a spinning back elbow for a two count. Almas hits a moonsault next for another two count. Rey comes back with a version of the Canadian Destroyer for a two count of his own. Rey looks for the 619, but Almas blocks it. Rey comes back with a DDT, and both men are down. Rey gets up first and hits a dropkick, then the 619. Rey goes up top, but Zelina Vega causes a distraction, and Almas DDTs Rey off the turnbuckle for the three count.
Winner: Andrade Almas
– The broadcast team shows us a replay of Jimmy Uso receiving his note from Mandy Rose. We cut to Uso walking through a hallway and pulling out the room key Mandy Rose included in her note, and we go to commercial. Back from the break, Uso knocks the door, then walks in. Mandy Rose is sitting in the room wearing a robe, and she tells Jimmy to come over. Mandy tells him to stop playing hard to get, then she takes her off robe to show a revealing outfit underneath. Uso says they can’t do this, and she needs to stop. A photographer then runs in and takes some photos, then Mandy says she never really wanted him and this is about Naomi. Mandy says Naomi will never be as hot as her and everyone knows it. Uso leaves, then Naomi walks in and attacks Mandy. They fight on to the bed and the TV. Mandy throws Naomi over a chair, then runs out of the room in her robe. Uso comes in and helps Naomi to her feet.
-The broadcast team shows us a replay of Alexa Bliss unveiling the new Women’s Tag Title belts last night on RAW.
– The Miz comes out for his Shane McMahon birthday celebration. There are cakes and decorations in the ring. The Miz gets on the mic, and immediately introduces Shane McMahon. Shane comes out to the ring, and The Miz says he wishes Shane a Happy Birthday on behalf of everyone whose lives he has touched. The crowd chants “Happy Birthday” at Shane as he thanks them, and The Miz cuts in and talks about how this is no average birthday party. The Miz shows Shane the cakes, and one of them has a photo of Shane and Miz together on it. Miz hands Shane a present. Shane unwraps the present and it’s a new pair of Jordan sneakers. Shane thanks Miz, and now Miz directs Shane’s attention to the big screen. We see a highlight video looking at Shane’s career in WWE, and the World Cup win. Shane thanks Miz for the video, and Shane admits he always wished he was a WWE Tag Team Champion. Shane says his first pick for a tag partner would have been Andre The Giant, but he’s proud to be walking down the aisle with Miz at the Royal Rumble. The Miz leads the crowd in singing Happy Birthday to Shane. The Bar comes out to interrupt, and Sheamus and Cesaro start talking trash to Shane. Shane tells Sheamus to prove how tough he is in a singles match with The Miz tonight. The Miz doesn’t seem to want the match and points out that he’s not dressed to wrestle, but Shane says he wasn’t dressed to wrestle in the World Cup match, and he wants Miz to fight tonight. Miz agrees, and it looks like we have a match.
– The Miz vs. Sheamus: The birthday deocrations and cakes are moved to the floor. Shane and Cesaro are both at ringside for this one. The opening bell sounds and Sheamus takes control in the opening moments of this one. Sheamus hits some shoulder strikes in the corner, and then a running knee to the face. Sheamus rips off Miz’s shirt and hits the 10 Beats of the Baron on the apron. The Miz starts to fight back, but Sheamus shuts him down with a knee to the body. Sheamus misses a shot in the corner and Miz starts mounting a comeback. The Miz hits a series of dropkicks, but Sheamus comes back with a running forearm to the face of Miz. Cesaro hits a cheap shot on Miz behind the ref’s back. Shane gets involved and throws Cesaro through the table with the cake on it at ringside. This distracts Sheamus, and Miz rolls up Sheamus from behind for the three count.
Winner: The Miz
– After the match, Sheamus beats down Miz in the ring, until Shane runs in for the save. Shane drops Sheamus, then Miz hits the Skull Crushing Finale on Sheamus. They sit Sheamus down in the corner, then Shane climbs the opposite corner. Miz puts one of the birthday cakes in front of Sheamus’ face, then Shane leaps with the coast to coast dropkick on Sheamus. Sheamus and Cesaro are both now covered in cake, as Miz and Shane hold up their World Cup trophy and SmackDown goes off the air.