We’ll Leave It There So: Munster mourns one of the province’s most cherished sons
A book of condolence for Anthony Foley was opened today at the IRFU offices in Dublin.
Source: Dan Sheridan/INPHO
- Anthony Foley‘s family have said their ‘anguish is bottomless’ following the tragic death of the Irish and Munster rugby legend.
- Tributes continue to pour in from around the world with a book of condolence opening in the IRFU offices in Dublin, as well as in council offices around Munster.
- Nevada State Athletic Commission say the punishment handed to Conor McGregor after a press conference fracas isn’t as severe as first reported.
- The Ireland senior and U21 panels for the 2016 hurling/shinty series were announced today.
- Olympic boxer Adam Nolan yesterday won his first county hurling title with Oulart-the-Ballagh.
- Melbourne City have remained tight-lipped on the rumours linking them with a move for Dundalk’s Daryl Horgan.
Members of the Munster squad stand and observe the shine for Anthony Foley outside Thomond Park.
Source: Niall Carson
- Dan Carter has been cleared of doping following a probe which implicated him and two Racing 92 team-mates.
- Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been banned for eigth tournament weeks and fined by the ATP.
- The FA want to appoint another English manager as Sam Allardyce‘s successor.
- Three men have been arrested in connection with the fatal shooting of the daughter of sprinter Tyson Gay.
Connacht head coach Pat Lam today received an Honorary Doctrate From NUIG.
Source: Morgan Treacy/INPHO
The Best Thing We Shared
This brilliant goal in the final seconds of yesterday’s Laois SFC final denied Portlaoise a 10th conseuctive title.
Source: SportsTalk TV/YouTube
On The Record
“We will always look at new broadcasters . Hurling is the (one of the) fastest sports in the world, it should be on ESPN or FOX (but) we can’t have a big broadcaster who could cherry pick finals and provincials.”
The GAA‘s media rights manager, Noel Quinn, on how he aims to make the most of broadcast deals.
Where we were today
Kevin O’Brien was at St Vincents GAA club to speak to Dublin’s Paul Mannion.
Source: Dan Sheridan/INPHO
The Fixture List
- The Champions League returns on Tuesday with eight games down for decision, all kicking-off at 7.45pm. Tottenham’s trip to Bayer Leverkusen is the highlight while Leicester host Copenhagen.
As Sars beat Kiladangan to clinch their first county three-in-a-row since the 1960s, they dedicated it to Lieutenant Colonel Jack Griffin, who served as both trainer and selector with the team and sadly passed away last November.
Paudie Maher brought Griffin’s three young daughters Laragh, Isabelle and Emma up the Semple Stadium steps yesterday and rather than lift the Dan Breen Cup himself as captain, asked them to accept it on the team’s behalf from county chairman Michael Bourke.
Get closer to the stories that matter with exclusive analysis, insight and debate in The42 Membership.
Become a Member
The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!